Grandfather Charged with Beating Autistic Grandson | News
RAYMORE, Mo. — A former Korean War Veteran, 78-year-old Gilberto Pena is now charged with assaulting his six-year-old grandson, Anthony Pena. The former business owner and father of four is accused of beating the boy on Sunday afternoon
in the backyard of the grandfather’s rural home in Raymore.
The boy’s father, Albert Pena tells FOX 4 his father cursed, yelled at and then beat Anthony for about 15 minutes. The first grader also says his grandfather threw him against a shed. Albert Pena says his dad beat his son across his chest back and neck with his hands after the child apparently called his grandmother a name.
“It was just horrible,” said Albert Pena. “If you’re giving a child a spanking, it would be on the bottom, but not on the face or around the neck, armpits and all this stuff. No, that’s not spanking, that’s beating.”
Pena said he doesn’t regret calling the cops on his father.
“Yeah, I did it for Anthony. “He’s my baby and my saving grace.” he added.
Anthony was examined and released from the hospital. Gilberto Pena bonded out of the Cass County jail on Monday afternoon.
Upcoming Events near Cass County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Independence police arrest four people who tried to escape them
- KC Forum: Protection, Drama and Human Trafficking
- City of Independence to Host the 2015-16 Division I Women’s Basketball National Championships
- FBI seeks man who robbed KC bank, left scene on foot
- Mother files wrongful death suit against police officers who killed her son